Key facts of Greece
- Greece is situated in Southeastern Europe, with an area of 131,990 sq.km. and a population of 10,482,487.
- Athens is the capital of Greece with a population of 3,828,434.
- Local time is GMT + 2 hours.
- The Hellenic Republic is a Presidential Parliamentary Democracy.
- President of the Hellenic Republic: Mrs Katerina Sakellaropoulou.
- Prime Minister: Mr Kyriakos Mitsotakis.
- Parliament: Three hundred elected members with elections held every four years.
- Greece is a member state of E.U. since 1981.
- The currency is euro.
- The Greek economy adopts the principles of free enterprise and is bound by the regulations of international organisations such as ECOFIN and WTO, of which it is a member.
Administration of the Country
Greece is divided into 13 administrative divisions, named "Peripheries" (Districts):
- Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
- Central Macedonia
- Western Macedonia
- Western Greece
- The Ionian Islands
- Central Greece
- The Peloponnese
- The Northern Aegean Islands
- The Southern Aegean Islands
The next level of administrative division is the "Peripheriaki Enotita" (Regional Unit). In total there are 74 Peripheriakes Enotites.
Local Communities are named "Dimos" (Municipality) which are further subdivided into either "Dimotiki Kinotita" (Municipal Community) or "Topiki Kinotita" (Local Community). In total there are 332 Dimi.